Welcome to Blended Learning!
Upcoming Class Events
Check the PPE calendar below for additional information regarding lunches, sports, and club meetings.
- November 7: November Book Report contract due
- November 12: No School - Teacher Professional Development
- November 14: PTA meeting @ 4:00
- November 16: 3-5 Student Store
- November 16: 3-5 Movie Club
- November 19-21: Dr. Durbin on vacation.
- November 22-23: No School - Thanksgiving Holiday
- November 28: Scholastic Book orders are due.
- November 28: November AR tests due.
- November 30: FlipGrid book sharing due.
- December 1: PPE Holiday Bazaar @ 9:00 - 4:00
- December 5: Book Sharing on FlipGrid comments due
- December 6: 4th and 5th grade holiday concert @ 7:00 - 8:00
- December 7: PTA Holiday BINGO @ 6:00- 8:00
- December 12: PTA meeting @ 4:00
- December 13: Learning Celebration
- December 14: 3-5 Student Store
- December 14: PPE Caroling @ Pioneer Home in Palmer @ 6:00 - 7:30
- December 20: Box Tops due
- December 20: Class Holiday Celebration: Pajama Day, mug gift exchange, treats, and movie
- December 20: Last day of first semester/quarter 2
- December 21: No School; teacher work day
- December 24 - January 4: Winter break
- January 7: School resumes
9:00 - 10:15: Online Learning
10:15 - 11:00: Specials
11:00 - 12:10: Concept Learning
12:10 - 12:45: Lunch
12:45 - 1:15: Recess
1:15 - 1:45: WEIRD
1:45 - 3:00: Project Time
3:00 - 3:40: Online Learning
Specials Schedule Rotation
Day 1: Music
Day 2: Media
Day 3: PE
Hello Pioneer Peak Families!! I am excited to have the opportunity to work with you this year. As you are aware, we are a unique class at our school. So, what makes us unique?
- First, we are a mix of 4th and 5th grade students where we learn together; therefore, we are a multiage learning classroom.
- Secondly, for half the school day, students engage in personalized learning using an adaptive online learning platform for literacy and math. This means that students are learning at their "achievement level", not necessarily their "grade level". Personalized student learning is coupled with small group and/or 1:1 direct instruction with Dr. Durbin.
- During half the school day, students engage in project based learning with a focus on cross curricular and service learning connections. All learning develops skills in cooperative learning, problem solving, and critical thinking.
- Finally, students are issued a chromebook that can go home each night; however, students must also bring the chromebook back to school for learning everyday.
While our learning may look a little different, students are still held to high academic expectations and must meet or exceed grade level standards.
Together in education,
Dr. Annette Durbin, Ed. D.
National Board Certified Teacher
New Donors Choose Project Launch
The students have been learning and creating with our STEM Donors Choose project that was funded in September. Thank you for your financial and sharing support.
I have posted a Donors Choose project that focuses on digital 3D art. I'm excited to work with the students to develop innovative skills stemming from their own creativity. They will be learning how to take their creative idea, design it on the computer, and print in 3D form. Please review the Donors Choose project link and support however you can with a donation and/or sharing this project with your friends and family circles.
THANK YOU for your support with our Donors Choose projects. Student learning is inspired when they have learning opportunities that promote creativity.
GREAT NEWS: Our project is off to a great funding start with two Donors Choose project donations from our first project. THANK YOU for LAUNCHING our project!
Student Online Learning Account Access
Students use Odysseyware for the online learning platform. Odysseyware is a yearlong learning curriculum that meets the Alaska State Standards. Students work at their own pace; however, students must be up to date on all assignments, according to the due dates listed. Students are welcome to work ahead of their assignment due dates to advance their learning and skills. However, in order to complete the program on time, any work not completed by the due date becomes homework.
Parents may also access your student's account. Please contact Dr. Durbin for access.
Students, click on this link to access your account.
Please read this MSBSD 1:1 Technology Device handbook and let Dr. Durbin know if you have any questions.
Print off (or request a hard copy) of this agreement. Be sure to review the expectations with your student before signing and returning this form to school.
Once the form is turned in to Dr. Durbin, the chromebook, bag, and charger will be issued to the student to go home. Remember, Dr. Durbin does not have extra chromebooks IF a chromebook is left at home.
This website is maintained by Annette Durbin.
2004 - 2018