Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District
The mission of MSBSD is "We prepare all students for success."Visit here for more information on our School Board Vision, Mission, Beliefs, Values, Goals and Objectives.On November 30th, 2018 the Mat-Su Valley experienced a 7.0 earthquake. See below for a summary of MSBSD's response.Download the PDF - click hereTo view this document as a PDF - Measures of Academic Progress PDF
- The Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District is located approximately 35 miles north of Anchorage in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough in an area commonly known as the “Valley.”
- The district spans approximately 25,000 square miles, an area larger than the entire state of West Virginia.
- The Mat-Su Borough is home to more than 105,000 residents and is the fastest growing area in Alaska. To find out more about our great Valley, visit these Mat-Su Community Links.
- State of Alaska
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough Government
- City of Palmer
- City of Wasilla
- City of Houston
- Mat-Su Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Palmer Chamber of Commerce
- Wasilla Chamber of Commerce
- Alaska State Fair
- Youth 360 : Summer and afterschool programming at Houston Jr/Sr High School and Wasilla Middle School
- Connect Mat-Su: Immediate access to information, referrals, and direct assistance needed for Mat-Su residents to thrive physically, mentally, and emotionally
- LINKS : Community and family resources for children with special needs and support services
- Saroma, Japan
- MSBSD is home to 46 schools ranging in enrollments from about 20 to more than 1,000+ students.
- With a district-wide enrollment of almost 19,000 students, Mat-Su is the second largest school District in Alaska.
- Facilities include:
- 6 charter schools
- 3 special mission education schools
- 21 elementary schools
- 4 middle schools
- 8 high schools
- 4 K-12 schools
Our student population is diverse—from various socio-economic, cultural, and language backgrounds. We welcome and embrace our diversity and strive to provide an equitable, strong educational foundation for all Mat-Su students.
This below information is avialable from National Center for Educational Statistics
- The District is the Borough’s largest public employer with approximately 2,200 staff members --more than half are teachers.
- The District prides itself in the quality of its employees, which is evidenced by the number of state and national awards bestowed each year upon its teachers, administrators, and staff.