• Willow Elementary

    PO Box 69


    History of Willow Elementary School

    Willow School opened in October of 1959, with 34 children enrolled in grades 1-12. School was held in a one-room Quonset hut with one teacher and an outhouse. Bus service began in January of 1960. During the 1960 – 1961 school year, three additional Quonset huts were added, along with two more teachers. 

    In 1964, the first permanent structure with indoor plumbing was completed. We refer to that part of the school as the “old building” minus the gym. A multipurpose room (classroom next to the art room) was added to the original four classrooms in 1966. Willow PTA began a breakfast and lunch program with the assistance of volunteers. 

    A second addition, consisting of the gym/cafeteria and kitchen, was added in 1978. In the summer of 1986, construction began on a new classroom addition to Willow School. The staff and students all participated in moving into the new structure, our present building, on April 1, 1988.

    Today, Willow School has an enrollment of about 120 students in grades K-5. A federal programs preschool is also onsite. 

Last Modified on August 25, 2023