6th Grade Basketball
Hello 6th grade basketball players and parents!
There are no tryouts in order to play 6th grade basketball. In order to play, you must sign up on PlanetHS, pay the sports fee, and have a current physical on file at CMS. The goal of 6th grade basketball is to develop fundamental basketball skills, practice sportsmanship, and developing a sense of fair play and teamwork. To this end, the 6th grade players will be divided into heterogeneous (mixed-ability) teams for the season.
Practices are after school from 2:30-3:30PM. All athletes need to be picked up by 3:45PM.
All games and practice times are listed on the basketball calendar. Specific game times will vary depending on the number of teams in the jamboree on a given week. Jamboree schedules will be posted on this page as they become available.
Boys 6th grade BB
11/23 Boys CMS @ WMS Schedule will be posted here when available
12/3 Boys CMS @ TMS Schedule will be posted here when available
12/10 Boys CMS @ WMS Schedule will be posted here when available
12/16 Boys HMS @ CMS Schedule will be posted here when available
Girls 6th grade BB
11/24 Girls TMS @ CMS Schedule will be posted here when available
12/2 Girls WMS @ CMS Schedule will be posted here when available
12/9 Girls CMS @ WMS Schedule will be posted here when available
12/17 Girls HMS @ CMS Schedule will be posted here when available
6TH & C-TEAM BASKETBALL (Girls and Boys)
A. Rules - National Federation of State High School Association Rules will govern all basketball games.
B. Exceptions to Rules
1. Length of Game - Games will consist of two - fifteen minute halves with a running clock. The
clock will be stopped the last minute of each half for fouls, violations, etc.
2. Time Out - Each team will be allowed (one) 1-minute timeout per half.
3. Overtime - If needed, overtime will be two minutes in length. The clock will be stopped the last minute of
each overtime period. One additional time out is awarded to each team in each overtime period.
4. Defense - Zone defenses are not permitted. A technical foul will be called for violation. Full court press is
allowed only during the second half. If a team is ahead by 10 or more points they are not allowed to full
5. Team Size - A team should consist of approximately 8-10 players.
6. Three Point Shot - The three-point shot will not be allowed.
C. Philosophy - The philosophy of 6th grade & C-team basketball is to teach the fundamentals of the game
basketball including rules, offensive and defensive strategies, and teamwork.
D. Classifications - Team classifications are based on equal ability (heterogeneously grouped) teams.
E. Participation Limitation
1. No basketball player may play on or suit up for more than one team on the same day or in the same
tournament, unless agreed by the two coaches from the opposing teams.
2. C-team rosters will consist of both 7th and 8th grade students not already on 7th or 8th grade rosters.
6th grade and C-teams will be made up of players of equal ability and heterogeneously grouped.
3. 6th graders may participate on 6th grade teams only.
a. Exception: If the school student population is 100 students or less. In order to field a 7th grade and Cteam,
schools are allowed to include 6th graders in try outs and select to participate on a 7th grade or Cteam,
but not both. Rosters of teams will be made available. 6th grade athletes who participate on the
7th or C-team will not be allowed to participate during the 6th grade season.
F. Team Selection - 6th grade & C-team basketball will be a no-cut sport. All students will be allowed to
participate if they have fulfilled eligibility requirements.
1. All girls will use a NFHS 28.5" basketball.
2. 6th grade boys will use a NFHS 28.5" basketball. 7th and 8th grade boys will use a NFHS "boys" ball.
3. Preferably all players will wear a uniform with numbers clearly visible on the front and back.