THE FIVE STEPS OF THE WRITING PROCESS
STEP 1: PREWRITING
· Decide on a topic to write about.
· Consider who will read or listen to your written work.
· Brainstorm ideas about the subject.
· List places where you can research information.
· Do your research.
STEP 2: DRAFTING
· Put the information you researched into your own words.
· Write sentences and paragraphs even if they are not perfect.
· Read what you have written and judge if it says what you mean.
· Show it to others and ask for suggestions.
STEP 3: REVISING
MAKE IT BETTER
· Read what you have written again.
· Think about what others said about it.
· Rearrange words or sentences.
· Take out or add parts.
· Replace overused or unclear words.
· Read your writing aloud to be sure it flows smoothly.
STEP 4: PROOFREADING
MAKE IT CORRECT
· Be sure all sentences are complete.
· Correct spelling, capitalization, and punctuation.
· Change words that are not used correctly.
· Have someone check your work.
· Recopy it correctly and neatly.
STEP 5: PUBLISHING
SHARE THE FINISHED PRODUCT
· Read your writing aloud to a group.
· Create a book of your work.
· Send a copy to a friend or relative.
· Put your writing on display.
· Illustrate, perform, or set your creation to music.
· Congratulate yourself on a job well done!