Students are expected to be on time, present, and participate in class. All classwork and software assignments are given as in-class assignments. Enough time is given in class to complete all tasks. If students are absent, they have one day plus how many days they were absent to make-up work, but as long as they communicate with me, we can work through getting work made-up- I am very flexible with this!
Each class is 115 minutes long and broken up into these areas:
- Whole Group:
- 5 minutes
- Welcome-focuses on building relationships, presentation-style speaking, and starting off with a positive interaction each day.
- Needs- students can voice their needs at any time of the day, but this is a time to address any immediate needs before class starts to reduce anxiety and/or frustration.
- Small/Whole Group Instruction
- 45 minutes
- This is time focuses on teacher-delivered instruction in a smaller group setting or one-on-one to meet the individualized needs of each student.
- Continuation of assignment, independent work, and/or reading
- 10 minutes
- This can be a short walk-in school or outside on school grounds (weather dependent)
- “Brain break” of getting off devices
- Basketball game or any other appropriate movement in class
- Students always have the option to take breaks while working, to use the restroom, etc.
- This a variety of quick activities to send students out of the classroom on a positive note!
- Whole Group:
Grades are broken down to be as equal in weight as possible. My classes are designed to support students by individualizing instruction, teaching instructional strategies, and working through behaviors that impact classroom learning. Benchmark Assessments cannot be retaken but are not given a letter grade. Their purpose is to make instructional decisions and place students in the appropriate curriculum. Besides Benchmark Assessments, quizzes, tests, and coursework can be either made up or repeated for a higher grade within a semester. Please see details about programs on their specific pages.