Mrs. Beard - Math Course Syllabus 2018-2019
Room: 108 Phone: (907) 864-5441 Grades: 6 & 7
(E-Mail is the best way to communicate with me. I check my e-mail more often than my phone messages. I will do my best to respond within 24 hours of receiving an e-mail.)
Students will build their understanding of math concepts through a variety of formats – verbal models, short response, extended response, skill practice, problem solving, and standardized test practice. Students will also explore the math in their everyday lives.
Guidelines for Achievement
- Be on time.
- Come ready and prepared to learn.
- Respect your rights and the rights of others to learn.
- Work at learning.
- Ask for support!
Daily work is an opportunity to practice new skills and concepts. Students will work in their Module Packets, on the Go Math Website, and complete tasks in Google Classroom. All work must be shown neatly in order to receive credit for the work. If work is not shown, the student will be asked to redo the assignment for credit.
Each Chapter Students will need to complete and will be graded on:
- Daily Assignments (Vocabulary, notes, daily practice, software, etc.) - 30%
- Chapter Quizzes, Tests, and Projects - 70%
90-100% - A
80-89% - B
70-79% - C
60-69% - D
59% and below - F
*Chapter Packets (In Class) *Pencils *Erasers *Lined Paper *Calculator *Binder *Chromebook
Make-Up Work due to Absence
- Check Mrs. Beard’s Math Website/Google Classroom for daily assignments.
- Ask friends.
- This will be a time where Go Math Workbook pages will go home to finish.
- Students get the number of days absent to make up the assignments.
- Missed Quizzes and Tests must be made up during work time in class, lunch, before school, or after
The text is Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Go Math; Middle School Grade 6 or Grade 7. The students will each have access to tons of online resources for students and parents.
Late Work Policy – Students are able to complete and turn in late work through the end of each grading period. Late work will be marked down 10%. Students are always welcome to see me to work out individual plans for success.
Cell Phone Policy – Cell phones should be locked away in the student’s locker unless prior notification of needing them in the classroom is given. Cell phones are not allowed to be used as calculators.
Communication - I will text often to inform you of deadlines, quizzes, tests, etc. Please make sure that your e-mail and cell phone information is up to date with the district.