Physical Science Syllabus
Room 227 – (907) 761-1510
Physical Science is the study of matter and energy and how they influence your everyday lives. Throughout the year we will be learning many of the underlying concepts of both Chemistry and Physics. The course provides many opportunities to be up and “doing” science through inquiry based labs and projects.
REQUIRED Student Supply List
- 3 ring binder (1/2” or 1”) with college ruled paper
- 5 clear dividers for 3 ring binder
- Sharpened pencils OR mechanical pencil with extra lead
- Set of colored pencils
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED Student Supply List
- Colored pencils (or take your chances with classroom ones)
- Scientific Calculator
- Pencil sharpener for colored pencils (they DESTROY the regular one in class).
- Water Bottle – only sealed containers of WATER are allowed in class!
- Glue sticks or small bottle of glue
- Thin black sharpie/regular black sharpie
- Be Responsible
- Be Positive
- Be Respectful
- Be Considerate
- Be in charge of your own success!
- Follow all instructions both verbal and written.
- Respect yourself and others & take responsibility for your actions.
- BE ON TIME and PREPARED to begin class upon the bell ringing. Being on time means be in your seat, with your binder, pen or pencil, paper and calculator before the starting bell.
- Water in a screw top bottle ONLY! NO EATING OR CHEWING GUM!!
- DO NOT SIT ON TABLES OR COUNTERS unless instructed to do so.
- DO NOT TOUCH LAB MATERIALS UNLESS INSTRUCTED TO!
- Electronic devices are to be OFF and PUT AWAY or they will be confiscated and taken to the office.
Students will receive 5 passes per quarter. Any unused passes can be submitted at the end of the quarter for extra credit. Passes will NOT be granted the first 10 minutes of class, or the last 10 minutes of class. You MUST receive teacher permission to use a pass. PLEASE DO NOT interrupt a lesson to ask for a pass unless it is an absolute EMERGENCY!! Remember passes are a privilege!
- Tests/Quizzes (30%) à At least one week notice of any upcoming tests. At least one day notice will be given for upcoming quizzes.
- Labs/Assignments (35%) à Labs are one of the most important components of this course. Assignments will consist of class-work, practice work, readings, questions, etc.
- Bell-work (10%)à Objectives, Science starters & Exit questions will be on the board at the beginning of every class. Record the objective and then the science starter question. Answer the question to the best of your ability and revise as necessary after we go over the answer. Science starters will be collected and graded on Fridays. Homework (15%) à Most homework will be work that was distributed in class that needs to be completed at home. Students will be told in advance if the assignment will be a graded for accuracy or for completion. Be sure to take note of due dates!
- On-Time Points/Employability Skills (10%) à On-time points are given when a student submits the assignment on the expected due date. If the assignment is late, students will not receive on time points. Late work due to absence will not be penalized. It is the responsibility of the student to verify if work was collected and when they are expected to turn in work from an absence. Points will be given for employability skills such as preparation, cooperation, participation, etc.
The responsibility of determining what was missed falls on the student. Any handouts distributed during your absence can be found in the milk crate up front by the banana tree, it is the students responsibility to check here upon return to class. Work missed due to absences will not be considered late until the number of days missed is past. Some labs may not be available for make up due to equipment and/or chemical limitations. It is the responsibility of the student to make sure that they make arrangements for make-up tests and quizzes following an absence.
Safety in the Science Classroom
Safety in the science laboratory is an important part of science. If you are unsafe in the laboratory putting yourself and others in danger, you will not be allowed to continue the lab. Absolutely NO HORSEPLAY will be allowed in the laboratory. Students who jeopardize the safety of themselves and others will be removed from the lab and sent to the SRC. Continued behavior issues during lab time will result in being unable to participate in subsequent labs and completing an alternate assignment in its place.
Please read over the attached MSBSD Science Safety Contract. It will need to be signed and returned prior to your student being able to complete labs.