High School Honor Jazz Band Audition Requirements
Winds, Piano, Guitar, Vibes (No scales for bass)
Chromatic Scale: Lowest note to highest comfortable note and back down. Perform at a comfortable tempo.
Drummers (Play in following order)
Even 8th Rock and Funk groove.
Four bars of swing time feel (quarter note = 160) alternating with four bars of solo, thirty-two bars total.
Four bars of Samba groove (half note = 100) alternating with four bars of solo, thirty-two bars total.
Please play the etudes in any order
• Saxophones: Swing, Samba, Ballad
• Trumpets: Swing, Salsa, Ballad (Lead Trumpet performs Lead Etude in place of Swing Etude)
• Trombones: Swing, Salsa, Ballad (Bass Trombone performs Bass Bone Etude instead of Swing Etude)
• Piano: Swing, Salsa, Ballad • Guitar: Swing, Funk, Ballad • Bass: Swing, Salsa, Ballad, (If possible please perform Swing and Ballad Etude on acoustic and Salsa on electric)
• Drums: Swing, Swing (brushes), Samba
• Vibes: Swing, Calypso, Ballad
Improvisation (All instruments except drums)
• Brass/ Saxophone players: Play the head and solo over 2 choruses
• Piano/Guitar/Bass/Vibes: Play the head, comp/walk for 1 chorus and solo for 2 additional choruses
• Drums: No improvisation
I'm Looking For...