Miss McDonald’s Classroom Rules and Procedures
Our School’s Guidelines for Success are as follows:
- I will respect myself and
- I will come to school prepared to
- I will be responsible for my choices and
- I will have the courage to do my best
As a school, we follow these guidelines building-wide, and all staff use these words when speaking with students about how well they are doing and also when they need a reminder about their behaviors and/or actions.
Within our classroom, students hold each other accountable with the creation of a classroom social contract (agreement of behavior). Individual classes create their own social contracts, which students can then reference to “self-manage” their behavior. We create our contracts by answering the following questions:
- How do you want to be treated by me (the teacher)?
- How do you want to be treated by each other? (student to student)
- How do you think I (the teacher) want to be treated by you?
- How do you want to treat each other when there is conflict?
When students are not following their social contract, the following is the progression of consequences:
- Verbal warning and redirect
- Verbal warning and statement that if the behavior continues, he/she will be choosing a consequence
- Time-out/cool down desk
- Call home and sent to buddy room
- Sent to principles office
These rules and consequences are based on my belief that no one has the right to interfere with the learning, safety, or well-being of others. If a student chooses to interfere with someone’s safety, learning or well-being in a manner that is seen by any staff member to be severe, the student will go directly to the principal and he will decide on the consequences.
If you have any questions or concerns about this, please do not hesitate to e-mail or call me.
5th grade teacher 352-9512