Assistive Technology is a device and/or service that is determined to be educationally necessary for a student to receive a Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE).
Assistive Technology (AT) tools help students:
- Communicate with teachers and classmates
- Do their schoolwork
- Participate in school programs and activities
Examples of Assistive Technology
AT tools are commonly described as “low-tech”, “mid-tech”, or “high-tech.” An AT evaluation will determine the type(s) of tools best able to support your student at school.
Types of AT Requests
- AT Evaluation
- ESY Request
- Fall Request
- Ongoing Support
- Training Request
Assistive Technology Process/Request an Evaluation
If you believe your student needs assistive technology, please follow these steps:
- Start by filling out an AT ticket (Student Assistive Technology). The ticket link can be found by visiting:
- Matsuk12.us>Employee Quick Links>Service Request>MSBSD Service (Ticket)>Student Assistive Technology (SAT)
- Once you have filled out the ticket, the AT Specialist assigned to your school will be notified and you will be contacted within 5 school days. This ticket will remain open throughout the entire process. If you feel the ticket was closed prematurely, simply respond to the email you received stating the ticket was closed and it will re-open.
- A student file will be created in the AT Team drive
- An AT Process checklist will be created and shared with the IEP team. This checklist will consist of the AT Process steps, who completed each step, and a date each step was completed.
- Access to the IEP and ESER will need to be given to the AT Specialist. This can be completed by any team member on the IEP.
- A review of the IEP and ESER will be completed by AT prior to meeting with the IEP team.
- A meeting will be scheduled with the IEP team to review strengths, weaknesses, and goals. During this meeting, a SIFTS or other inventory will be completed with input from team members.
- A student observation will be scheduled. This might consist of classroom observations or observations during a therapy session.
- An AT Consultation Report will be completed and uploaded to Synergy. This is a form that covers student’s strengths, weaknesses, placement, services, trials of devices, programs, and AT recommendations.
- Recommendations will be made to the IEP team on which device/program should be used and input from the team will aid in selection of a device/program.
- AT will provide training on the use of the device/program to staff, students, and caregivers, as needed or requested.
- AT will provide ongoing support to all team members as needed or requested.
- AT Specialists will update AT Consultation Report at every reevaluation to include new information.
After the Evaluation
- If AT devices and/or services are necessary, your students IEP or 504 plan will be revised to include specific information about the recommended service(s) and/or device(s).
- The AT department will provide all equipment that is recommended. Students who receive home instruction will receive their AT delivery and services at home.
- All AT devices are purchased and owned by the Matanuska Susitna Borough School District. Students must return their equipment at the end of the school year, when they graduate, or if they leave the district. AT equipment is intended for use at school but may be utilized at home if a checkout form is submitted and if prior approval from the AT department has been given.
- The AT department will provide ongoing training to the student, educational team, related service providers and parents/guardians as needed. Initial training is provided during the evaluation process. School staff is responsible for use of the device and ongoing support to the student.
- If a device is found to be broken, missing or needing repair, please contact the AT specialist at your school or submit a Student Assistive Technology (SAT) ticket under “Service Request” on the Employee Quick Links page.