Intro to Algebra
Into to Algebra offers high-interest, approachable lessons that break concepts into small, manageable sections. Numerous exercises help students learn how to apply the primary concepts, while step-by-step examples of problem solving strategies provide examples to follow. Intro to Algebra will introduce students to concepts such as: place value, prime and composite numbers, proper fractions, scientific notation, exponents, square roots, and more.
- Text (stays in classroom)
- Paper or Spiral Note book
A: 90 - 100%
B: 80 - 89%
C: 70 - 79%
D: 60 – 69%
F: below 60%
Grades will be based on the following three components and will have the indicated weights:
Formative Assignments 30%
Summative Quizzes 25%
Summative Tests 45%
Assignments include any bookwork or project assigned during the period. Work not finished in class must be finished on student’s own time. Bookwork will be reviewed and turned in on a daily basis.
Quizzes will be given as we complete sections from the text. They will cover smaller amounts of material but will be given with greater frequency than tests.
Tests will be given at the end of a chapter. Tests will be closed book. Notes may not be used on tests.
Expectation for Students
· Be seated and prepared when bell rings.
· Be respectful, quiet, and attentive when the instructor is in front of the class.
· Treat classmates with respect and kindness.
· Keep electronics put away.
· Use given work time for doing math.
· Stay seated and working until the bell rings
· Verbal warning.
· Lunch or after school detention.
· Parental contact.
· Administrative referral.
*Other offenses will be subject to the consequences outlined in the Student Handbook.
There is one pass for students to use. It will not be given during lecture time. Only one person may receive a pass at a time. Pass usage is meant to be brief. It is not to be used for wandering the halls. Pass privileges will be lost for excessive pass use or for long absences from the classroom.
In the interest of conserving resources, I will not post hard copies of grades. I will however keep grades updated on the computer. Students and parents wishing to monitor progress can log onto iParent at any time. Please feel free to email me with any questions regarding iParent grades.
The door to the room will be closed when the bell rings. Students arriving tardy to class will need to get a pass from the office before being allowed in the class. Discipline will be dealt with by the office.
- Be considerate, courteous and respectful to all in the room.
- Listen to and follow directions of: teachers, administrators, custodians, secretaries, instructional assistants, substitutes, and other adults in authority.
- Be on time and prepared for class. Bring books, paper, pencils and other necessary classroom materials.
- Walk in an orderly manner. Inappropriate behavior includes: running, yelling, pushing, shoving, interfering with the flow of traffic, congregating or moving around in large groups.
- Keep hands, feet and objects to themselves. Inappropriate behavior includes: shoving, kicking, tripping, hitting, horseplay, play fighting and fighting.
- Show respect for school property and the property of others. Inappropriate behavior includes: writing on or scratching school or other people’s property, or taking things without asking to borrow or use them.
- Bring problems and concerns to the attention of an adult: Inappropriate behavior includes: talking about others, spreading rumors or hearsay, confronting other students.
We will be using the Remind App for notifications. Please ask your student the process to get this app, they will complete this the first day.
Your first homework assignment is to return this piece of paper signed by you and your parent/guardian.
Student Name (printed) _________________________________________________
Student Signature _________________________________________________________