FAMILIES IN TRANSITION (FIT)
Families in Transition (FIT) fulfills MSBSD’s federal requirements by ensuring students in transition have the same access to educational opportunities as other students. By working collaboratively with all MSBSD schools, FIT promotes school stability and academic success for its students.
Enrollment Assistance, School Transportation Assistance, Educational Assistance, Referrals to Community Agencies, Removal of barriers to academic success (i.e. school supplies, shoes, winter clothing, etc)
WHO QUALIFIES FOR FIT SERVICES?
A student is considered in transition if they lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence. This may include:
- Staying in emergency shelter, transitional shelter, youth shelter or domestic violence shelter
- Staying in a motel or hotel due to economic constraints
- Staying with friends or family members due to economic hardship
- Staying in cars, campgrounds or other public places
- Staying in substandard housing
Alaska 2-1-1-Call 211
Families that qualify for FIT have the right to:
- Receive a free, appropriate public education
- Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
- Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
- Enroll in the local school; or continue attending the school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is the preference and is feasible.
- If the school district believes that the school selected is not in the best interest, then the district must provide a written explanation of its position and inform the student of her/his right to appeal its decision.
- Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if requested.
- Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to the students’ needs.
REFERRALS TO FIT
FIT accepts referrals from community agencies, students, parents, and schools. If you know a student who might qualify for our services call the FIT office directly at 907-746-9228, fill out our referral form online, or contact the school.
Eligibility is determined from July 1 of each year and a student remains eligible for the entire school year even if they secure permanent housing. Students may be referred to FIT anytime throughout the school year.
- Increase enrollment, attendance, and educational success by providing students with basic material necessities.
- Increase students’ educational success through providing support for academics and participation in school sports and activities.
- Strengthen partnerships between family, school, and the community.
- Increase school stability by providing transportation to the school of origin.