Migrant Education Program (MEP)
The Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District Migrant Education Program (MEP) provides services and resources for students and their families through the support of a federal grant. The MEP's goal is to ensure that all migrant students reach challenging academic standards and graduate with a high school diploma (or complete a GED) that prepares them for responsible citizenship, further learning, and productive employment.
IS THIS YOU?Your family depends on subsistence activities to feed your family, and...Your child(ren) has, in the past 3 years, participated in seasonal subsistence fishing, commercial fishing and/or berry picking and brought the food home (dates must fall within a one year period);AND the activities were at least 20 miles away from your primary residence for 7 overnights or more (does not need to be consecutive);OR your child(ren) traveled with you while you were logging and/or farming outside of the Mat-Su Borough School District (MSBSD) for 7 overnights or more (does not need to be consecutive).Eligible youth must be under 20 years old but are not required to be registered in a school. Therefore, preschoolers, homeschoolers, and out of school youth are also eligible if they have not graduated.If the answer is yes, your child(ren) may qualify for Migrant Education Services. All activities must meet economic necessity for program qualification. Please complete the Parent Request Form below.
SY 2021-22 Fall Migrant Ed Program Events
- School Supply Resources - August 9
- Alaska State Fair - Recruiting families
SY 2020-21 Winter - Spring Migrant Ed Program Events
- Semester 2 School Supply Giveaway: January 14-15
- Fireside Book Fair: February 1-27
- Magazine subscriptions: Feburary 15-March 29 (extended deadline)
- Hunter Education: April 3, 10, 17, and 24 (enrollment closed)
- Wilderness Youth Safety Education:
- Pediatric Care Basics - Babysitting and First Aid: May 1 or 8
- Summer Learning and Safety Supply Giveaway: April 29
Migrant Education Program Teachers, Graduation Coaches, Tutors and Counselors
Please contact your school or our office for contact information.