TRACK AND FIELD (Girls and Boys)
A. Rules - National Federation of State High School Association Rules will govern all track meets.
B. Exceptions to Rules:
1. Entry Limitations.
Junior Varsity meets will be unlimited entry per school per event.
Varsity meets are limited to five entries per event from each school.
C. Order of Events -The Track and Field Events will be run in the following order:
1. Running: 110 meter hurdles, (5 low hurdles, 30 inch, both boys and girls), 100 meter dash, 800 (4 x 200)
meter relay, 1600 meter run, 400 (4 x 100) meter relay, 400 meter dash, 800 meter run, 200 meter dash,
1600 meter relay (4 x 400)
(hurdles-- S-60-H-60-H-60-H-60-H-60-H-60 10, 3/4-F)
Girls will run first.
2. Field: Discus (women's), shot put (4 kilo), high jump, long jump, and triple jump.
With the exception of the high jump, boys' field events will be first.
D. Classifications - Team classifications are Junior Varsity and Varsity. Teams may be comprised of sixth, seventh, and eighth grade boys and sixth, seventh, and eighth grade girls. Grade level does not determine classification.
E. Participation Limitation
1. Varsity athletes may participate in four events, of which no more than three are running events, including
2. Junior Varsity athletes are limited to participating in three events.
3. Tournament Participation
a. Students may participate in only one meet per week.
b. Students may participate in only one championship meet.
c. JV and Varsity teams need to be declared prior to the first meet and only participate in the respective meet.
d. Upward movement from JV to V is permanent.
4. Host Schools will have discretion to invite out of district schools. Primary focus will remain on serving the
MSBSD students first.
1. Team - Team scores will be kept for the Varsity Championship meet only. Team awards will be lst, 2nd, and 3rd place boys and lst, 2nd, and 3rd place girls.
Track and Field Scoring (cont.)
2. Individual - Ribbons wi1l be awarded to those scoring team points for Varsity.
# of Teams Competing in the Meet Individual Scoring Relay Scoring
4 6-4-3-2-1 6-4-2
5 8-6-4-2-1 8-6-4-2
6 10-8-6-4-2-1 10-8-6-4-2
7 or more 10-8-6-4-2-1 10-8-6-4-2-1
(1st place = 6 points; 2nd place = 4 points; 3rd place = 3 points; etc.)
3. Dual/Tri-Meets. - No ribbons will be awarded for dual meets.
4. Junior Varsity Meets - Ribbons will be given to each finisher in each heat up to 8th place and 10th place in field events. Participant ribbons may be given to all other participants.
5. Varsity Meets - Ribbons will be given to the top five finishers in each event. Team awards may be given.
G. Starting Times - Starting times will be determined by host school.
1. Shot Put - The 4 kilo shot will be used for boys and girls Varsity and J. V. events. Participants will make
three consecutive throws.
2. Discus. - The "women's" discus will be used for boys and girls Varsity and J.V. event s. Participants will
make three consecutive throws.
3. High Jump - Boys Varsity high jump will start at 4 '6". Boys J. V. high jump will start at 4'. Each round
will increase by 2" increments until the final two remaining contestants.
Girls Varsity high jump will start at 3'6". Girls J. V. high jump will start at 3'0". Each round will increase by 2" increments until there are only two contestants.
I. Heats. Heat sheets will be made for each running event ran in lanes. If multiple heats, the winner will
be determined by fastest heat time. The first heat will be designated as the
the most competitive heat. The fastest runners from each school should be designated to run
in the first heat.
J. Events. Events will be announced as lst call; 2nd call; and "3rd & final call". Field event athletes should sign up with the event official.
K. Non-participating athletes and/or students. Athletes should be reminded to stay in the stands when not participating in an event. The infield needs to be kept clear of all athletes during the running events.
L. Rosters. Rosters should be sent to the host school two days prior to the meet. Scratches and substitutions may
be made at the coaches meeting prior to the start of the meet.
M. Uniforms. Each athlete will wear a jersey or T-shirt with the school's name visible on it.