How to Help Students Prepare Music in Fifth Grade
5th Grade Music Skills:
The student should be able to;
1. read and perform: in 2/4, ¾, 4/4 meter signatures.
2. identify and use the notes of the treble clef staff.
3. identify orchestral and band instruments as well as, instruments from various cultures, by sound and sight.
4. demonstrate through movement, the ability to respond to changes in tempo.
5. demonstrate audience behavior appropriate for the context and style of music performed.
6. identify simple music forms when presented aurally: introducing and ending (coda).
7. demonstrate the ability to work effectively alone or with a group.
5th Grade Music Vocabulary:
Introduction- In a song, music played before the singing begins.
Measure-A grouping of beats set off by bar lines.
Bar lines-Divide the music into measures.
Orchestra- A balanced group of instruments consisting of strings, woodwinds, brass, and percussion.
Brass- A group of wind instruments, including trumpets, French horns, trombones, and tubas.
Percussion- A group of pitched or indefinite pitched instruments that are played by striking with mallets, beaters, and so on, or by shaking.
Strings- A term used to refer to stringed instruments that are played by bowing, plucking or strumming.
Woodwinds-A term used to refer to wind instruments, now or originally made of wood.
Unison- The same pitch