How to Help Students Prepare Music in First Grade
1st Grade Music Skills:
The student should be able to;
1. echo short melodic patterns with an awareness of the steady beat.
2. recognize and maintain a steady beat.
3. demonstrate the ability to define and maintain personal space.
4. distinguish between high and low sounds.
5. demonstrate the following eight basic locomotor movements ( walk, run, hop, jump, gallop, skip, leap, slide) traveling forward, backward, sideward, diagonally, turning, and moving in straight and curved pathways.
6. demonstrate the ability to work effectively alone or with a group.
1st Grade Music Vocabulary:
Steady beat-A regular pulse.
Melody- A line of single tones that move upward, downward or repeat.
Chorus- A group of singers performing as a unit.
Rests-Symbols for silence in music.
Tempo-The speed of the beat in music.
Rhythm pattern-A group of long and short sounds.
Dynamics-The loudness and softness of sound.
Repeated Tones-Two or more tones in a row that have the same sound.