Alyeska Ski Trip 2012
Five students from the Program for the Visually Impaired, and some of the staff took an awesome trip to Girdwood, Alaska to downhill ski at the Alyeska Ski Resort, using Challenge Alaska's adaptive equipment and terrific talents at teaching skiing and snowboarding skills. The great Adapted PE teacher, Chris Stewart, organized the trip, and away we zoomed. See for yourself the great skills our athletes exhibited while skiing and snowboarding.Adaptations for Skiing
- Bright labeled vests for the skier and Guide
- The Guide is in front or behind
- Athletes with low vision often follow their guide
- The Guide may raise an arm or verbally indicate before they Stop
- Sometimes a hula hoop, ski pole, or other
- Verbal signals are used between the Guide and skier
- They communicate when to turn
- When to stop
- Downhill skiing is a Paralympic sport.
- When racing, skiers and Guides often use a microphone in their helmets
Last Modified on August 14, 2017
I'm Looking For...