Phone: (907) 352-5366
Degrees and Certifications:
BA Biology, Chemistry minor MBS in Science, Teaching Science emphasis MA in Curriculum and Instruction, Secondary Science
Mrs. Sarah Hughes
About Mrs. Hughes
Why Do I Teach?
I love science. Not in a way that I geek out all the time; but I'm known for watching 'nerdy' shows or occasionally doing at-home experiments with my kids. I have the curiosity to learn more about the world around me so I might geek out once in a while. I enjoy trying to find the answers to the why and how questions and I like to share in that excitement when I have an "eureka" moment.
I know my students may not always feel the same way I do about science, but I hope that I can impart a desire to want to know more and to gain additional skills to work toward a solution. I want my students to leave my classroom knowing I am there to help them when they need me but to also have skills and confidence they can utilize as a foundation for various challenges life has to offer.
A Basic Biography
I grew up in Monument, Colorado which is between Denver and Colorado Springs (near the US Air Force Academy). My childhood memories include the typical playing with friends in our one-stoplight town, going sledding with my older brothers, riding my bike everywhere, and taking care of our oddball variety of family pets: dogs, cats, guinea pigs, parakeets, ducks, geese, chickens, turkeys, and a pet sheep. While growing up I was into reading books all the time, I had piano & voice lessons, and played the flute & piccolo in my middle and high school bands. I've always wanted to learn the oboe and violin but haven't managed to do that yet, but have picked up a few chords on our family guitar along the way.
I have lived in Palmer, AK since my marriage in 2004. My husband Cory and I have 3 children and a few random fish in a fishtank. Together we enjoy traveling, scuba diving, and being with our family. We are also owners of a small business in Palmer. I also enjoy reading, hiking, landscaping, and the occasional crafting project or two.
I attended the University of Colorado in Colorado Springs and hold the following degrees:
- BA Biology, Chemistry minor
- MBS in Science, Teaching Science emphasis
- MA in Curriculum and Instruction, Secondary Science
- Substitute teacher for D-11 in Colorado Springs, 2002-2003
- AVID tutor for D-11, 2002-2003
- Substitute teacher for Mat-Su School District, 2004-2005
- 7th-8th grade life and physical science teacher, Palmer Junior Middle School (PJMS) 2005-2015, Wasilla Middle School (WMS) since 2017
- 7th grade geography teacher, PJMS 2013-2015
- Science Olympiad 'Coach,' PJMS 2013-2015; WMS 2017-2018
- Private tutor for science: elementary-middle school grades
- ALEKS math, WMS 2017-2018
- Alaska Professional Teaching Certificate, Science grades 7-12
- AK "Highly Qualified" for teaching Middle School language arts, mathematics, and social studies
- MSBSD Curriculum Council representative for middle school science, 2012-2015
- MSBSD science curriculum writing team and textbook adoption committee member
- PJMS Foundations Team member, 2013-2015
- Building level staff trainer for Promethean Board and SchoolWires website software
- Science Olympiad: volunteer event judge 2017
I'm Looking For...