Welcome to the Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District! We are excited that you have decided to join our team and hope to make your employment experience with us a very positive one. The information listed below will assist you with completing your new hire documents as well as provide guidance on what additional information Human Resources will need to receive from you once your paperwork is complete.
Administrative employees may elect for health insurance coverage listed below upon hire or during open enrollment in June. Click on the plan link to access the health summary documents. Contact the Payroll Department if you have any questions about the health insurance plan, eligibility, or premiums.
Premera High Deductible Health Plan - $126 per pay period (September 15 – May 31)
Health Savings Account
A health savings account is a tax-exempt account used to pay or reimburse certain medical expenses you incur. Administrators who are enrolling in the HDHP and do not have other coverage are generally eligible to contribute to an HSA. According to the IRS to be eligible to contribute to an HSA you must meet the following requirements:
- You are covered under a qualified high deductible health plan
- You have no other health coverage with a few exceptions
- You aren’t enrolled in Medicare
- You can’t be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return
The District will contribute $1,500 in FY 2024 and the IRS sets annual contribution limits for each calendar year. For calendar year 2023, individuals with self-only HDHP coverage can contribute up to $3,850 and individuals with family HDHP coverage can contribute up to $7,750. In addition, individuals who are age 55 or older at the end of the tax year may increase their contribution limit by $1,000.
For employees who opt out of the group health plan in FY24, the District will match employee contributions dollar-for-dollar up to $1,500 into a tax-deferred account 403(b) or 457(b).
New York Life Insurance Enrollment/Change RequestMLMAAs an MLMA employee with the Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District, you will automatically be enrolled in a $50,000 life insurance policy through New York Life at no cost to you. Additionally, for a fee of $1.28 per pay period, you have the option to enroll in an additional $15,000 worth of coverage. You also have the option to enroll to elect for additional coverage in multiples of your salary. This may require additional paperwork. Should you need any additional assistance determining these premiums, please contact the Payroll Department.MSPA/EXECAs an MSPA/EXEC employee with the Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District, you will automatically be enrolled in a $150,000 life insurance policy through New York Life at no cost to you. Additionally, for a fee of $1.28 per pay period, you have the option to enroll in an additional $15,000 worth of coverage. You also have the option to enroll to elect for additional coverage in multiples of your salary. This may require additional paperwork. Should you need any additional assistance determining these premiums, please contact the Payroll Department.
Retirement System Plan
As a district employee, you will be paying into the State of Alaska retirement plan. You will need to go to the Empower Website to set up an account after your first paycheck. Your beneficiaries for your retirement plan can be designated from your Empower account. If you are a defined benefits member with PERS or TRS, Payroll will contact you to complete the necessary paperwork. All non-certificated employees also contribute to the State of Alaska Supplemental Annuity Plan (SBS) and further information can be found here.
As an employee of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District, you have the opportunity to save for retirement by participating in your Employer’s 403(b) retirement plan. A 403(b) plan is a retirement plan for certain employees of public schools. Click here for our Universal Availability Notice. For more information, please visit the Payroll benefits page.
Recommended Follow-up Tasks
- After the first payroll has processed, log in to the Empower website at akdrb.com to complete a beneficiary form for each account you have with Empower, including the State of Alaska PERS or TRS DCR, SBS-AP, and DCP.
- Learn more about your benefits by scheduling an appointment (by phone or in-person) with a Retirement Benefit Counselor AK DRB Appointments or by calling toll-free at (800) 821-2251.
- Learn more about your investments and the tools to help you manage your funds by scheduling an appointment with an Empower Retirement Plan Advisor by calling (800) 232-0859 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To stay on track for retirement, make an appointment with an Empower representative both annually and when you experience any major life event, such as marriage, divorce, birth, loss of spouse, job promotion, or inheritance.
- Review the Employee Handbook
Additional Information Needed
FBI Background Check
All employees of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District must complete an FBI Background Check upon hire. All new hires will be required to make an appointment with Human Resources to have fingerprints completed. At that time you will be responsible for paying the $48.25 processing fee required by the State of Alaska. This fee can be paid online when you make your fingerprinting appointment. By completing an FBI Background Check you consent to the following statement found here.
Physical Examination Form
All Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District employees are required to get a physical within thirty (30) days of hire. This is a two-page form and you will need to ensure that you and your doctor have completed all questions and have signed where necessary. It is recommended that you wait until your District coverage begins before getting your physical as it will cover 100% of the cost. Information on reimbursements for physicals is included on the form. When requesting reimbursement, please include/make note of the following:
- If you are covered under any health insurance, please submit your bill to your health insurer before requesting a reimbursement
- Include a copy of the bill for your doctor visit
- Include a paid receipt
For more information please contact: Human Resources at (907) 746-9250 Payroll Department at (907) 761-4025