Houston Middle Stands United Against Bullying
Olweus Bullying Prevention Program
HMS will continue its policy of combating bullying and harassment in our school environment. We recognize that harassment not only occurs in the school setting but also as students move to and from school and in students' private lives. We will continue our implementation of the Olweus Bullying Prevention program as our main source of prevention and intervention. We will continue our efforts in these four areas.
Students will participate in learning about bullying and harassment through the use of the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program. The curriculum will be taught during Hawk Talk
All staff and students will participate in weekly, bullying prevention and education classroom meetings. Meetings will occur during Hawk Talk.
Building Wide Efforts
Staff will continue efforts to address bullying and harassment in our student population by intervening when where necessary. Staff will model and make the four Anti-Bullying rules part of our school culture.
Staff will continue to monitor individual student concerns regarding bullying (for both perpetrators and targets). Students demonstrating patterns need to be addressed through steps outlined in our intervention process. We will also continue to use the following procedures.
- Staff will conference individually with students and implement classroom based interventions.
- Staff will encourage students to fill out Witness/Victim Forms.
- Staff will fill out Witness/Victim forms when applicable.
- Staff will directly report serious cases to counselor or administration.
HMS Rules Against Bullying
- We will not bully others
- We will try to help students who are bullied
- We include students who are easily left out
- When we know somebody is being bullied we will tell an adult
Hawk Talk Lesson Web Sites
Helpful Web Sites
Witness Reports: If you are being bullied or you know someone being bullied please fill this form out and hand it in to the office. These forms are also available at the front office.